Cleaning Out Your Closet For The New Year
Forget about spring-cleaning – we are in winter tidying mood! Now that 2015 has come and gone, we are saying, “Out with the old.” Let’s get that closet of yours organized and in order just in time for the New Year.
Don’t panic. We know this can seem like an overwhelming task at first, but trust us, once your closet is clutter free, you will breathe a sigh of relief. The Voge Boutique team is here to help you get through the chore with some expert advice and a simple step-by-step guide.
OUT WITH THE OLD
Steps to a Clutter-Free Closet
1. Get some new hangers.
Keep everything looking uniform and splurge on slim wooden hangers to get that boutique chic vibe. Velvet hangers are also a necessity – they are great to prevent clothes with smooth fabrics like silk from slipping. Pant and skirt hangers are must (we recommend the clip top hangers).
2. Take everything out.
This is going to allow you to completely restructure your closet and see just how many items you are working with. Each item should be evaluated for keep-worthiness.
3. Assess your pieces.
Ask yourself these questions about each piece of clothing. If the answer to one or more of these questions is no, get ready to throw it, sell it or donate it.
- Does this accurately represent my style?
- Is this flattering / do I feel confident when I wear this?
- Have I worn this in the last year?
- Is this the image I want to project?
- (If the item is damaged) Will I make an effort to repair this?
- Is there sentimental value?
4. Organize and color-code.
Once your ‘keep’ pile is complete, organize the pieces in a way that makes sense to you – usually by function or style. Then color code each section to make finding and assembling outfits way easier.
5. Sell, donate or toss?
Your ‘get rid of’ section should now be piled high and ready for sorting.
- Sell if it doesn’t fit, isn’t your style anymore, is slightly worn and was expensive.
- Donate if it’s slightly worn and inexpensive. Also donate any clothes that aren’t sold.
- Toss if it’s torn or broken or it’s underwear.
IN WITH THE NEW
Now that you have made room in your wardrobe by getting rid of all of those unneeded items, it’s time to stock up on some of this season’s newest looks. Swing by Voge Boutique or surf our site to snag some of the cutest pieces for 2016.